Thursday 11 April 2013

Update

Ok, so it's been over a month since I started my blog and posted my introduction.
A few days after I posted I was at work as usual and suddenly started to get a stomach ache which became really intense quite rapidly. I went to sit in the staff room thinking that maybe this was just a small obstruction as I'm quite prone to these after the abdominal surgery I've had, but as the minutes ticked by I knew this was something much more serious. I told my manager I had to leave and after him saying "is it really that bad?" and "you need to get cover first" I called my dad and he picked me up down the road.
The car journey to the hospital was only about 15 minutes but it was truly horrendous; I've experienced this type of pain previously as my bowel's twisted many times before, but this was definitely up there with the worst pain I've ever felt (and believe me, I have a high pain tolerence!).
We got to A&E and my dad went to find a wheelchair, but after waiting around in the car and him not returning I assumed he was having difficulty finding one so I somehow made my way inside the hospital. I was so hot, felt so sick and thought I was going to faint at any given moment as my hands were numb and I couldn't see much. Whilst waiting in A&E I found myself rolling around on the floor and throwing up (which i managed to get in my hair and all over my clothes; nice) whilst everyone stared, so embarrassing!
Anyway to cut a VERY long story short, after being in resus for 4 hours, having A LOT of morphine and gas & air, an NG tube shoved down my throat, a CT scan and a very long night of pain and sickness I had to have emergency surgery due to a parastomal hernia and a twisted bowel; which resulted in a 2 week hospital stay.
I'm back home now recovering and since I've been made redundant I thought I'd get back to the start of my blog as it would be a perfect way to take my mind of things while I'm at home doing absolutely nothing!
I apologise for the length of this post, but as I'm doing things properly I thought it would be appropriate to explain why I haven't posted anything!
Also, I'm very open about my health, especially anything to do with IBD so if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
I hope everyone's having a nice day!



No comments:

Post a Comment